Friday, January 11, 2008

Pursuit of Happyness Review (and yes I know it's been out for like a year)


In my everlasting quest to keep you, dear readers, up to date with the latest movie critiques and most current film analysis, I bring you my "Pursuit of Happyness" review. I know it's on STARZ. Shut up. Don't judge. "Pursuit of Happyness" follows a down on his luck single father, played by Will Smith, as he tries and becomes a stock broker while taking care of his son. His unpaid internship and a series of unfortunate events causes him to lose everything, including his fleabag motel room. He and his son are put out on the street but he refuses to give up. There's no Plan B. He's determined to be a stock broker. As he goes from subway station bathrooms to various shelters for the night, he dotes on his son, cramming for his final internship exam as his son sleeps. This film is about one man's perseverance to make a better life for himself and his son. It's about not giving up, no matter what. It's about a parent's love for their child.

So in other words, "Pursuit of Happyness" is a sappy, string pulling, overly sentimental film that does everything save kill a puppy, to wring a tear out of you. And you know what? It works. Or at least it did on me. I got a text from a friend and when I replied that I had just watched this movie and loved it. His response was "Eh." Of course his response was that. He's a single guy who's well enmeshed in his bachelorhood. When we saw "House of 1000 Corpses" together in the theater, and Sheri Moon is walking up to the liqueur counter and the camera is trained on her chaps-laden ass, he blurted out, "Daddy likes." No shit. He's that guy. Beer and bimbos are the order of the day. To him responsibility is bagging it before you're tagging it.

I, on the other hand, lead a completely different life. I have a son who is three years old who I would do anything for. I do have a beautiful wife and a nice home and my son didn't drop his Captain America doll in the street (see the movie) but I can relate. I have responsibilities to my son, my wife, my family. I put them above all else. So I guess you could say that I'm this film's target demographic. I think all parents are. So what can I say? I dug it. Will Smith did a fantastic job, as usual, and his son in the movie, played by his son in real life, did a pretty good job as well. Can't say it was a bad way to spend a Sunday night. Goddamn, I'm getting soft.

No comments: